Safety & Assistance systems
Safety - at the heart of all our thinking
The Integral Safety Concept from Mercedes-Benz divides vehicle safety into four phases:
Virtually no other area inspires the Mercedes-Benz engineers to produce such consistently impressive results as much as research into new safety technologies. The first important safety milestone was reached back in the 1950s with the development of the passenger safety cell, invented by Béla Barényi. Today it is just one of many components of the Integral Safety Concept which edges Mercedes-Benz vehicles ever closer to our vision of accident-free driving.
Phase 1: safe driving
Phase 2: in critical situations
Mercedes-Benz stands for automotive safety. That's why our vehicles can support their passengers even in critical driving situations, so that every journey is as safe as it can possibly be.
Phase 3: in an accident
Cars from Mercedes-Benz have a host of safety systems to prevent accidents. Should the worst come to the worst, however, a number of different safety measures are activated to give the best possible protection for all the vehicle occupants.
Phase 4: after an accident
To reduce consequential damage after an accident and support the work of the rescue services, a number of different actions are initiated, depending on the type and severity of the accident:
- Best possible protection: the engine can be turned off automatically and the fuel supply can be cut off.
- Eye-catching lighting: hazard and emergency interior lights can activate automatically to lower the risk of accidents and help locate the car.
- Better rescue possibilities: Crash joints between the wing and the door can make opening the doors after a frontal collision easier. The doors can also be automatically unlocked to give emergency services access to the occupants.
- Direct connection: the Mercedes-Benz emergency call system (part of COMAND Online) can automatically make an emergency call through a connected mobile phone, as soon as the restraint system has recognised that an accident has occurred. It will communicate GPS positional data and other information to the Mercedes-Benz emergency call centre. It will then be possible to talk to the centre.
The Rescue Guidelines for emergency services and rescue data sheets developed by Mercedes-Benz as a source of information for rescue services are available on the internet around the world and in multiple languages.
The S-Class does not just influence its surroundings - it records them. Stereo and infrared cameras, ultrasound sensors work together to give all-round vision, thereby making driving safer and more relaxing.
360° camera. This system allows you to park and manoeuvre, giving you an all-round near real-time view using four networked cameras. The vehicle and its surroundings can be displayed in a bird’s-eye view in the COMAND Online display; and obstacles below the level of the windows are also displayed to the driver.
Parking package. Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC and a reversing camera makes finding a parallel or car park parking space and parking in it easier. If so desired, it will automatically control the vehicle in parking spaces and spares
the driver the steering and braking actions. If the driver selects reverse gear, and accepts the space suggested, Active Parking Assist automatically performs the required steering movements to manoeuvre the car into the space at a speed of up to 10 km/h. All the driver has to do is operate the accelerator and brake pedals. The parking manoeuvre is completed in a maximum of seven moves.
LED Intelligent Light System. So as to give the best possible view on country roads and motorways, when turning into side roads, on bends and in fog, the low-beam headlamps of the LED Intelligent Light System adapt automatically to weather, light and driving conditions. In main beam mode, Adaptive Main
Beam Assist Plus allows the road surface to be illuminated in the main, without dazzling any other road users. Part of the light cone is blanked out for oncoming vehicles or traffic ahead. But the sides of the road remain illuminated by the main beam. Adaptive Main Beam Assist Plus dims itself for road signs that reflect its light back strongly, so as to avoid dazzling the driver. In these ways the LED Intelligent Light System makes an important contribution to safe driving. This efficient technology is impressive for its low energy usage, its longevity and for its
pleasant white light, which is close to the daylight spectrum.
- Please note: This is intended for general information, description and illustration of the Product including optional functions and equipment and may not be specific to a Product since specification of a product may change from time to time. Optional features, functions and equipment etc. may not be present in the Standard or Variant Product or Special Edition Product. Further, Standard specifications of a product may also vary from time to time. Colours may differ from those shown in pictures in the brochure, owing to printing. Mercedes-Benz India reserves the right to make changes, at any point of time, without prior notice, in design, colours, materials, components, equipment, specifications, features, functions, make and models etc. The information given in this brochure shall be regarded as accurate at the time of going to print and may vary thereafter due to any developments or any other reason. Interested parties should confirm with the Authorised Dealer about the correct specification of the product they desire to purchase. For the latest authentic information and updates, kindly contact your nearest Authorised Dealer. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and relating to this brochure / magazine or publication material or any copies thereof including but not limited to copyright, logos, names, trademarks, service marks, design, text, images, links, concepts and themes are owned by Daimler AG and/or its subsidiaries collectively or used under authorised license by the Daimler AG. Any reproduction, transmission, publication, performance, broadcast, alteration, license, creation of derivative works or other use in whole or in part in any manner without the prior written consent of the Daimler AG is strictly prohibited.